What To Bring
- Two forms of identification (e.g. Driver's License and College/University ID). ID) Please note, if you are from Alaska, America Samoa, Arizona, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, New York, Oklahoma or Washington, you must bring an alternate form of ID, such as a passport, military ID, U.S. Merchant Mariner Card or Native American tribal document in lieu of a Driver's License or Identity card. For more information click here.
- Medical Insurance Card for emergencies if you have insurance
- Bottled water
- Laptop with wireless capability
- Digital camera
- Notebooks, writing utensils
- PSTI assignment materials, as assigned
- Flash drive or Thumb drive
Participant Responsibilities and Requirements
Participation in the face to face portion of NASA Johnson Space Center PSTI includes special access to NASA unique locations. Proper dress is required of all participants during the institute. The dress code is business casual during the entire program:
- Acceptable attire includes: dress pants, khakis, polo shirts, casual dress shirts, casual dresses, or skirts.
- Acceptable footwear institute include: shoes must be flat, closed toe, and closed back which cover entire foot (athletic/running/walking shoes, causal covered toe flats, dress shoes).
- A light sweater/jacket may be needed inside on some days.
- A valid driver's license must be provided upon arrival in order to receive your NASA badge. Please note, if you are from Alaska, America Samoa, Arizona, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, New York, Oklahoma or Washington, you must bring an alternate form of ID, such as a passport, military ID, U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card or Native American tribal document in lieu of a Driver’s License or Identity card. For more information click here.
Students traveling under 300 miles to NASA Johnson Space Center are expected to use ground transportation and will be reimbursed at the federal mileage reimbursement rate from their home address. The activity will not reimburse for personal travel while you are participating. Air travel will not be provided.
Rules and Regulations
- PARTICIPATION: Being a PSTI participant and a visitor to the non-public areas of NASA Johnson Space Center is a privilege. Non-participation, violation of rules, or causing disruptions will result in immediate removal of the participant from the Institute. If dismissed from the activity due to disciplinary action, participant will incur travel costs to return home. They will not be reimbursed for travel.
- ATTENDANCE/PUNCTUALITY: The schedule is extremely intense! There will be many long hours and long days. Professionalism and punctuality is crucial to the smooth flow of the face to face schedule. It is imperative that everyone is on time for classes and NASA tours each day during the face to face portion. Many other visitors are also taking tours at NASA so it is important to be on time. PSTI participants are expected to participate in both online and face to face exercises. These are required, not optional. Chronic tardiness and absenteeism will result in termination from the Institute and forfeiture of travel reimbursement, stipend and hotel accommodations, as applicable. Participants must be on time and must abide by the rules of the NASA Johnson Space Center, Oklahoma State University, Texas A&M University and PSTI Staff.
- RESPECT: PSTI Participants will be respectful of self and others at all times. The institute requires participants to collaborate with others. Late-night noise shall be confined to designated areas so those wishing to sleep may do so. Chronic problems will result in termination from the Institute and forfeiture of travel reimbursement and stipend.
- CHARGES: Individuals will be charged for any loss/damage to the residential facilities, equipment, and hotel.
- CHECKOUT/GUEST: Participants will not be permitted to remain at the hotel after the checkout date. No overnight guests, family, or friends are allowed to stay in hotel room. Participants will be sharing a room.
- FORMS: Participants must complete paperwork and forms by the deadlines.
- MEDICAL: Participants needing medical assistance will be taken to the nearest hospital by a PSTI staff member, and will be required to pay/provide insurance information. Please immediately notify a PSTI staff member if a medical emergency occurs.
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Unless instructed otherwise, participants will be permitted to take photos and videos.
- SECURITY: NASA Johnson Space Center is an active operational facility. Security rules are simple and straight forward. A violation of the basic rules is the quickest ways to cease having access to NASA Johnson Space Center and therefore will result in the end of the participants’ involvement in the institute and forfeit of the stipend. Participants will be asked to complete the appropriate forms in order to be given badge access to special tours of NASA Johnson Space Center.
- SAFETY: Safety rules and regulations for having access to the NASA Johnson Space Center will be covered during on the first day of the face to face portion. It is mandatory for all institute participants to obey all safety rules and regulations.